Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, July 2, 2012

Reinvigorated Spirits‏


Hello! A big ol' shout out to all you normal folk who live on solid ground! First of all, a very happy and loud HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister tomorrow! I can't believe that she is now 15! Today I just ate a "Banana doughnut" and I thought it was one of the best things I have ever eaten! So, we shall head right on into this here e-mail!

So, as may have been heard, we had a Multi-Zone Conference with President Veirs last Tuesday in La Ceiba. This is where the title of the e-mail comes in. We showed up, had a big Q & A with the Stake President and the Bishops over there, then heard from the APs of how to better work with members and not “throw cake” at our investigators. Then, we watched a video by Elder Holland that really quite struck me deep down. It is a video from an MTC talk, so I don't know what it is called or how to get a hold of it...but it got me deep down in a spot that was really really tender. It made me realize just how much things have changed, and just how much more I must change. My batteries were truly recharged, and I am walking with that same vigor I had when I first stepped into my first area. This is a new, NEW time. The time Honduras feared the name Elder Tinkham for the 2nd time! (although the first time I was not the one wearing the nametag)

Other than that, only few choice events happened. Thursday, we had an activity at church where we watched a movie. Not just a church movie, but the Ropers hooked us up with The Incredibles in Spanish. We had an enormous turnout. I think it helps that there is not 1 movie theater on the island, but maybe people are just naturally drawn to movies. Well, thanks to that, many members brought friends or introduced us to friends or inactives came that haven't been to church for a long time. All in all, even though we didn't show something strictly of church doctrine (it still emphasized the importance of the family, but nonetheless) we were able to pull out some great side effects! Specifically meeting Edgardo and Daisi who both have many family members who are already members of the church. They were very well receptive to us and we became good friends quickly.

Saturday was the going away party for the Ropers. We showed up late because we were busy out teaching certain people and trying to get this work moving forward even more! Unfortunately, we have no baptisms to report for this week, but with certain people that we are working with, we are close. For many, marriage is the only obstacle that stands in the way for right now. But, we are not discouraged, we have the calling, we have the authority, we have the will. We have the help.

I just would close with a simple testimony. Worn, tested...but true. I know our Heavenly Father lives and loves us and has provided every needful thing in our lives to help us to return to live with Him. We just have to open our eyes and see it. And then, accept it. His plan is perfect, for He is perfect.

I love each and every one of you, and I am especially grateful for my grandma who keeps on sending cards! They are very small bundles of joy each time one arrives (which, with the mail system, arrive several at a time!)

Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham