Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, June 25, 2012

When was I called to an English mission?‏





Aloha! Hola! Hello! Oi! and What’s Up! to all of my family and friends in the solid ground! Sometimes I get a little confused about how I should salute people I pass by in the streets. But lately, it has been even worse! But, all is well in the island of Roatan. To recount some quick tales, we shall start right off!

So, last P-day we started out going on a trip with the Ropers. We ended up traversing almost the entire eastern side of the island, even places I hadn't been to! But, the really funny part was when we went to go see if there really was a reference out there we could contact. We had heard of a couple who lived out in the boondocks who were members from the states. So, we go to find them, and come up to this HUUUUUGE house and start calling "hello!" Well, a mysterious man comes out and immediately, "I don't follow the Mormon theology” and just goes into this whole weird shpeel of how he is a worldwide oil and gasoline driller and so he meets people of all walks of life and "can't" join a religion. It was a very interesting encounter!

Then, on Tuesday, we decided to go contact some old investigators from the area book. So, we went to a family, the Goldman family. I thought it sounded fishy having that for a last name, but I was clueless. Well, we walk in and it is a normal Latin family, only the problem is all the kids are also speaking English (the dad wasn't home at the moment). We started teaching them and finding out what the sisters had taught them before. Well, all the sudden the dad comes home in this sweet jeep-type car. Well...turns out he is from Delaware and is a musician who came here to teach music 14 years ago and never left. Well...so we were talking to him in English as well! What! I thought I was reading in my call letter that I was called to teach in the Spanish language!

On Wednesday we pulled off a sweet Family Home Evening with Hna Sorto. Our new Mission Leader has started a program where we go to members homes, invite all the members, neighbors, investigators, everyone over for a message and some food. We watched How Rare a Possession and had about 20 people there. It was great, I was super happy with the turnout and that everyone loved the message and the movie. And the fact that Hna Sorto is an amazing cook helps too!

The other days up until Saturday were normal, just teaching and whatnot, preaching the gospel. But Saturday rolls along and (after a young women's camp) we show up to the Ropers house to go visit some people that they had wanted to go see. Before that, we went up to a giant mountain where a ton of people live, and it was quite tiring to get up there! But we show up, and they were super tired from being up with the girls all night. But, so we go to the Webster's house. Once again, I was very intrigued by the last name. But, we show up, and once again a normal Latin family. However, we started, and we were only speaking English! What! I only carry around Spanish scriptures, so it is pretty weird to try and teach a principle in English and then go to back it up with the scriptures in Spanish. But, they understand them both, it is just that the Ropers prefer speaking English haha.

Yesterday we had a great turnout at church (this time no gringos showed up haha). I really enjoyed it, and the funniest part was that the nursery teacher just didn't show up. So, guess who they asked to teach Nursery? Elders Tinkham and Hofstrand! At first I kind of sat there, thinking, "Are you really asking me to do this?" But then I just decided to accept it. It was a very interesting experience. One I hope doesn't promptly repeat itself, as many of them were quite out of hand and I just ended up handing out ritz crackers and juice for good behavior. But, definitely something I hadn't ever expected in my mission.

Anyway, I love you all. I hope you enjoy this week and that your P-day will turn out as awesome as mine will! We are heading to La Ceiba tomorrow to hear from President Veirs! Should be awesome!

Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham