Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Next Step

Hello once again to all my friends and family on the "solid ground!" How are each and every one of you? I hope that this week has found all of you in a good and happy state. We are doing great out here in Roatán and enjoying life...especially the missionary work! I certainly do have a lot more stuff since my last companion went home and didn’t want to take almost anything with him and left the house just full of books and all sorts of stuff!

So...the question may be asked who my new companion is. Well, his name is Elder Barba (yes...Elder Beard) and he is from Mexico. The interesting thing is that he is still a pretty recent convert. He was baptized 3 years ago, and is already 25 years old. But, for being a convert he has a very amazing knowledge of the gospel and is super smart in a lot of things (he has already received his Mexican equivalent to a bachelor’s degree). He has almost 6 months in the mission. So, that means that Elder Tinkham: 

Is now Senior Companion.

I am super excited for this new part, that "Next Step" in missionary work. I may be a little scared, a little nervous, a little unsure of what Senior companion does...but, I know in whom I put my trust. So if He has put His trust in me to be able to do this...well, then who am I not to put my trust in Him? I am super excited! Watch out, Satan, a powerhouse is coming!

So this week on Monday we didn’t do much. Elder Hofstrand wanted to get a little bit of a head start on packing and we left to eat lunch, do some last minute buying for him, and headed out to just do little things here and there. I also ended up playing fetch with the apartment owner’s dog for a good 45 minutes. It was all good fun! I also claimed a lot of things that my companion was stating that he didn’t want, gratefully ending up with several books, a cool shirt, and a few other things before my next companion would show up. I also changed to be on the other side of the room and moved all my clothes and stuff into the closet right by the bed. (If I am going to be here 6 months, I ought to change it up a little, right?)

Tuesday we left for La Ceiba so that Elder Hofstrand could catch the bus Wednesday morning bright and early. So, we ended up at the house of Elder Neiswender (who was also going home) and went to his last baptism. Then, he and my companion headed out and Elder Novoa (a new elder) and I headed out for Buenos Aires to be with Elder Salcido, whose companion also left.

Well, Wednesday we just hung out over there in Buenos Aires waiting for our companions, and then all of a sudden Elder Barba shows up, my first junior companion. Needless to say, a happy moment and we celebrated calling in a pizza that night!

Thursday we normally would have headed out to the island in the morning, but the Zone Leaders wanted the island missionaries to be there, so we stuck around for that. Then, we went out to go and search for some papers for a couple to get married and we can then baptize a members wife and 2 kids. So, we took off on an unknown bus route to an unknown place called San Francisco in Atlantida. It was a super cool place, super clean, and with a lot of big, clean, nice houses. Well, we weren’t able to take the paper out because there was no bank in San Francisco, so we had to head back. It was already about 3:40 so we missed the yacht heading back to Roatán again and hung out over there again in La Ceiba

But, for sure we headed out Friday, showed up, and immediately started working. From there, nothing outstanding or amazing happened, just me getting used to the fact of being senior companion. But, it is a good weight. It isn’t something I dreaded. I thank you all for all your letters (especially Grandma’s cards that keep on coming!) and all your support! You all remain in my prayers and I hope that this week shall be just as amazing as my week will be!

Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham