Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, September 3, 2012

The ashes of a year...‏






Hola y que tal a todos mis familiares y amigos! Creo que ya debo hablar bastante Español, porque ya tengo UN AÑO EN LA MISIÓN!

Well...I honestly don’t have words to describe how quickly this year has flown by me. I don´t know where to start! I love being a missionary, and I love the thought of where I have come; no, WHO I have become. Honestly, I can understand now why it is necessary to go on a mission.

Well, this week was a little bit hard. I say that because Elder DeGriselles and his former companion were teaching a family, and the wife is very against the church...now. She wasn´t at the start, including that she went to the chapel twice! But, her pastor got to her and she is against us now. But, her husband kept going. He knows the church is true and was excited to be baptized. But, he thinks that he should be going where his wife goes, and now doesn´t want to speak with us. Tough...very tough...

Also, we had placed a baptismal date for this Saturday, but the lady up and left to visit family and sell mops (yes, mops) for 2 months! I still need to call her and find out where she is and get her to keep visiting the church over there and get baptized out there! It could greatly help out the elders that are out there.

But, yes...as you can see from the pictures...I burned a shirt Friday night. It truly could be shown as a symbol of the mission. I lit it on fire, and it took a few seconds to catch up. But then, it caught flame in literally seconds! It was a great column of flame shooting up for roughly 15 seconds, and then it had all fallen into the water below. My companion (at that point being a zone leader) told me that it burned fast, just like the time in the mission. I honestly think the same. I need to keep on going, keep on working hard, and keep on trying my hardest to help these people. Here in La Jutosa there is a lot of work to be done, but the Lord called myself and Elder DeGriselles here for a reason. I don´t know why me, still, but that is still to come!

Anyway, we hiked to a really cool waterfall today. It was a great way to get to be together with the Zone. And, it was in my area! So I didn´t have to wake up early to catch the bus or anything! Huzzah! It was, as dear old Elder Hoggard would say, a Christmas miracle!

Well, we keep on working and going out there to the dirt roads! We had a great experience on Sunday teaching the family of a member who are not members. They had been very cold to the missionaries beforehand...but we only focused on eternal families (their father is deceased) and how they could see him again. This caught their attention and allowed us the window to teach and testify of the truths we know. I am thankful for the blessing of having an eternal family. It certainly wouldn´t be heaven without them!


But yes, I am out of time! Until next week!

Love you all,
Elder Tinkham