Hello and hola to all my
friends and family! Sending all my love from La Jutosa! To start things off, let’s get to thinking...
On Tuesday I went and did divisions with Elder Goddard, my main man from Layton who went to USU before the mission. I left to his area, Los Almendros, and we did some work. He is a great guy (he was companions with Elder DeGriselles in the MTC, so has the same amount of time) and we had a grand ol´ time. He tells me that 2 new people we found came to church and are very receptive! I am very happy to hear that! We also had an encounter with a pretty sexist guy who had a divorce and began to talk about how women were evil and that Eve did a ton of evil things and how they have to be governed firmly by men...blah blah. We only spoke to him about how the man without the woman is nothing and he kind of shut up haha.
Throughout the week we went to go work among several families. The Rosa Family is a highlight. Their kids were baptized, and only the mom had been going to church. BUT, she couldn’t be baptized because she isn’t married and she said her husband was some brute (yes, brute) that hates everything and is only drunk. Well, I get the crazy idea to talk to him, and turns out...he is a pretty great guy! Sure, he has his problems, we all do, but I really like the guy! Well, we started teaching them again (we had given up) and then...drum roll...they ALL came to church on Sunday! Holy crap! Then we went to their house afterwards, and turns out they were celebrating Child’s Day in the entire country. Well, there were roughly 7 children with a ton of candy there in the house, and they just offered us handful after handful of candy until my pockets were completely full of teeth-rotting sugar! I definitely felt loved...mmm...mango strawberry suckers...
Also, the Vasquez family. That one is another story. Well, they also aren’t married...yikes...but this time the wife doesn’t want to hear from us. She always jokes with us and then gives us excuses like cooking or cleaning why she can’t be there in the lessons. But, Florencio is an awesome guy. He loves the Book of Mormon and he has come to church with us 2 times now! He puts a smile on my face when he gives me that real firm handshake.
Finally, the Quesada family. This is a completely different story. So, apparently, his son and daughter have been going to church for months and the missionaries were going over a lot. But, the family won’t allow her to be baptized. So, I think "What up wit dat fool?" and I go to meet them. Another great family! They shove us full of Baleadas and banana soda like crazy when we go over and are very friendly. The dad was committed to go church, but at the last minute had something come up. The wife, however, is a devout catholic and doesn’t want to change. We shall see what we can do there!
We also stopped to talk with an investigator, and for 5 minutes in the background there was a guy standing there making really good lawnmower sounds...Christmas Miracle! (thank you Elder Hoggard)
That was about it! The week was pretty normal outside of that. We played soccer today at a cool field and I scored a goal! Whoooo!
Anyways, I love you all! Until next week!
Elder Tinkham
On Tuesday I went and did divisions with Elder Goddard, my main man from Layton who went to USU before the mission. I left to his area, Los Almendros, and we did some work. He is a great guy (he was companions with Elder DeGriselles in the MTC, so has the same amount of time) and we had a grand ol´ time. He tells me that 2 new people we found came to church and are very receptive! I am very happy to hear that! We also had an encounter with a pretty sexist guy who had a divorce and began to talk about how women were evil and that Eve did a ton of evil things and how they have to be governed firmly by men...blah blah. We only spoke to him about how the man without the woman is nothing and he kind of shut up haha.
Throughout the week we went to go work among several families. The Rosa Family is a highlight. Their kids were baptized, and only the mom had been going to church. BUT, she couldn’t be baptized because she isn’t married and she said her husband was some brute (yes, brute) that hates everything and is only drunk. Well, I get the crazy idea to talk to him, and turns out...he is a pretty great guy! Sure, he has his problems, we all do, but I really like the guy! Well, we started teaching them again (we had given up) and then...drum roll...they ALL came to church on Sunday! Holy crap! Then we went to their house afterwards, and turns out they were celebrating Child’s Day in the entire country. Well, there were roughly 7 children with a ton of candy there in the house, and they just offered us handful after handful of candy until my pockets were completely full of teeth-rotting sugar! I definitely felt loved...mmm...mango strawberry suckers...
Also, the Vasquez family. That one is another story. Well, they also aren’t married...yikes...but this time the wife doesn’t want to hear from us. She always jokes with us and then gives us excuses like cooking or cleaning why she can’t be there in the lessons. But, Florencio is an awesome guy. He loves the Book of Mormon and he has come to church with us 2 times now! He puts a smile on my face when he gives me that real firm handshake.
Finally, the Quesada family. This is a completely different story. So, apparently, his son and daughter have been going to church for months and the missionaries were going over a lot. But, the family won’t allow her to be baptized. So, I think "What up wit dat fool?" and I go to meet them. Another great family! They shove us full of Baleadas and banana soda like crazy when we go over and are very friendly. The dad was committed to go church, but at the last minute had something come up. The wife, however, is a devout catholic and doesn’t want to change. We shall see what we can do there!
We also stopped to talk with an investigator, and for 5 minutes in the background there was a guy standing there making really good lawnmower sounds...Christmas Miracle! (thank you Elder Hoggard)
That was about it! The week was pretty normal outside of that. We played soccer today at a cool field and I scored a goal! Whoooo!
Anyways, I love you all! Until next week!
Elder Tinkham