Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, August 27, 2012

To mountain, or plain, or sea...‏


Hello to all my friends and family. It sure is extremely weird to be writing to you all from the "solid ground"...I still don´t quite have my land-lubber legs. I do quite miss my last home out on Roatán, but I did see the ocean today and felt good again!

Well, at least to appease my mother, I don´t know if many other people are curious or would want know where I am, I shall explain where I am now! I have been transferred to the area La Jutosa very close to Choloma. It is a tiny little farm town up in the mountains where they don´t know what paved roads or garbage cans are. And...I couldn´t be happier. I have already grown to love this place. It has A LOT of work to be done...but the Lord thinks that Elder Tinkham is the man for that job...and he can compete with what the Lord wants. My companion is Elder DeGriselles, from California. He has about 6 months in his mission and speaks pretty dang good Spanish for that amount of time. He helps me out a lot with the area, and we keep on learning between the two of us! I am in a very small branch (I now know what it feels like to be a pueblo guy, Tyler!) and we meet in a house for our meetings. Yesterday we had about 38 people at church, and in our house we are lucky to fit some 50 people (more people would fit in the house where I live than at the church!). But...I really do like it here. We are already teaching a lot of people, and I can really see the cultural difference between Roatan and Honduras once again haha.

This week was hard. Monday, a sister who served in Roatan came back and had a party at church. So, luckily, I was able to go there and take pictures with almost all of the members. But, I had to say a lot of hard goodbyes. I can´t honestly say that tears weren´t shed...and not by the members. I truly will cherish my time there and remember it for a loooooong time. Six of the best months of my life! Tuesday I said just a few more goodbyes and then left in the yacht in the afternoon to get to La Ceiba. I then walked around in a 4-way companionship for the rest of the night.

Wednesday, we woke up at 3:30 am to catch the bus to San Pedro at 4:30 to make it to the meeting that we had. I was super tired, but enjoyed my ride (sitting next to the very man that got transferred to Roatan, and he didn´t believe me when I told him that he was going to take my place!) with everyone. I saw almost everyone from the MTC there, and had a very good time. Then, my new companion and I came back to the area and ate lunch and starting working. It was actually a pretty hard day, a lot of appointments fell through...but I also didn´t have a lot of energy after the bus ride and waking up early.

Thursday we studied and planned in Choloma with President and the APs (of which, my companion Elder Chen got made AP on Wednesday! How crazy!) and they gave us pointers on how to plan better and how we can better ourselves. We also had a pretty awesome day afterwards and we found 2 families that actually look very receptive and asked us a ton of questions! We are super excited to be working with them! Friday, we had our first District Meeting in the Zone (my 2nd meeting in 6 months haha) and learned from the leaders there. My District Leader is an elder younger than I, who I saw start his mission in my first area. He is a great person!

Saturday we kept on working like normal, and yesterday was a little tough with people coming to church. But we ended off the day good with having a lot of lessons accompanied by a member. I was very satisfied with what we were able to do these days, I still am trying to learn how my area works, what the people need, and how to get to my house and all the appointments haha. But, it is a great process.

Unfortunately, I still don´t have any pictures, but next week I promise some! Until next week! I hope that everyone has the best week ever!

Vaya Pues
Elder Tinkham