Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, January 21, 2013

A week of little gifts and miracles from God‏


Well now, the activities of this week were...outstanding! I wasn’t really expecting...any of it!

Ah yes, but I hope that you have all had an amazing week like I have had! Because if so ... your life has changed for the better.

I now am able to see the hand of God more present in my life, and how it is that those small...the smallest things ever in past events lead to blessing the lives of His children in the future. Honestly, I now understand much more about the shifts we all make in our lives (thank you Elder Thomas!).

So, P-day or Tuesday we didn’t really do much, although we started teaching more seriously Armando and Olga, a great little family. Armando showed a great commitment to going to church on Sunday and to help his wife to be excited to go. They are Old Investigators (or people that the missionaries were teaching before) and weren’t able to get baptized. Well, they are showing a pretty good desire right now! My companion and I are excited for them because they came to church on Sunday and stayed all 3 hours and participated in all the classes! Tender mercy #1 of the Lord.

On Wednesday, all of a sudden President Veirs informed us that my companion needs an interview with him in San Pedro Sula that SAME day! So, we dropped everything and boarded a bus at 10 am to arrive there at the office by 3:30 pm. I saw a lot of old friends and got to speak with many people, as well as leave with the secretaries to work at night. Gotta say, it is pretty cool and REALLY convenient to work while driving around in a car. You can have appointments as far away as physically possible and you will still make it in a very reasonable time! We should all have one...but, I also slept in the giant, spacious, and comfortable home of the AP’s and secretaries that night, which I enjoyed a lot. 

But, the miracle came the next day. So, Zona Copan was not going to be allowed to go to a conference that we had on Thursday. But, since we were in San Pedro Sula, President insisted that we go! ALRIGHT! So, we show up bright and early to the church (we were with the AP’s, what can you expect, right?) and little do I know (because we hadn’t heard anything about the meeting) but Elder Duncan of the Seventy walks in with his wife and Elder Maynes of the Presidency of the Seventy walks in with his wife! WOW! We certainly were in for a spiritual treat!

So we learned all about the importance of the Book of Mormon in the lives of everyone (and heard several cool stories) as well as we learned how to study in order to be ready to teach our investigators and how to teach them in the exact same way that we study! It was truly incredible. The Spirit coming from that man was astounding. Tender mercy #2.

Upon finally returning to our area, we were able to visit a doctor who is very interested in the church but her husband is against us. She is talking about plans to convince him to let her go to church. Tender mercy #3.

An unexpected cold front hit Copan, and so we have been walking around in our suits this week to fight back the cold! And I LOVE IT! Tender mercy #4

Finally, at church yesterday we also had something amazing. We started the meeting with roughly 9 people present (including my companion and myself), and were very down hearted. But, by the end of the meeting we were running out of space with almost 40 people! (tender mercy #5) But, as we were done with the Sacrament, all the sudden a group of 3 people walk in and I asked the President if he knew them and he told me no. Well, they stayed a moment after the meeting and my companion and the branch president went to go teach them (it was my turn to teach the Sunday School class). Well, my companion comes out and tells me it is better for me to be there. So, I walk into the room to find 3 people from Roatan who live here now and are looking for a church. I know the exact place where they lived! Well, they needed an English translator haha. But she told me after asking several questions, that they were driving around looking for a church (they are suffering family problems) and this was the first one that was open, and it says Jesus Christ outside, so we must worship Jesus Christ (just like it says in 3rd Nephi 27:7-10). She was very happy and told me that she wanted us to come and visit her and that she wanted a Book of Mormon. We happily obliged and will be returning to visit very soon! Tenderest Mercy of mercies that any missionary wants to see: #6!

So, this week was amazing! I am super excited for this week that is coming up, because we have baptisms planned and several new investigators that are progressing and showing a lot of potential!

Love you all! Wish that you can have as good a week as me!

Elder Tinkham

(PS the picture is of me in my suit on a normal tracting day due to the cold!)