Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, December 17, 2012

The end of the world?‏



Hello and salud to all my family and friends out in the land of cold! The cold has already left Copan and now I must suffer heat once again...poor me.

How have you all been? I hope well. And I hope that these holidays that are now right around the door (and I don’t know how!! Honestly...I feel like Christmas in my first area was not long ago at all) will be magical and everything you could possibly hope for. Especially if we all keep that true meaning in our hearts. The birth of our Savior Jesus Christ to come and save us all from our sins. The greatest gift we have ever and will ever receive.

So, Copan Ruinas is very famous for the deep connection with the Mayas. They are the best preserved ruins of that period in the world, just so you know haha. And as we know, the Mayas made a very famous and accurate calendar of the world and the natural things that have happened in it. Anyway...supposedly the end of the world is the 21st of this month (this Friday! Huzzah!) and there are a TON of people here to see the end of the world. Supposedly the big bad stuff to happen will shoot right out of the ruins here. I have talked with people from here, Japan, the USA, Germany, Spain, France, Italy...apparently this end of the world business is big.

And we will be there to teach them why when it doesn’t happen!

We improved a lot this week from what we did last week. It turned out great! We found a new family, the family of Juan Carlos. He is the brother of our branch president. He is an old investigator that was receiving the missionaries beforehand. Well, he seems pretty interested now. We even got his wife to go to church with us yesterday (he was going to go, but left suddenly because the bus was small which made me sad). But, it really made me happy to be able to find and start to teach them.

My companion and I really got to working hard this week to improve what was happening in the branch. We already have transfers coming up this Friday...and we still don’t know if we have any. Not until tomorrow or Wednesday is what I hear. So who knows...maybe when we hear next I shall have a new companion!

On Sunday we had our District Conference in Santa Rosa de Copan. It is a good 3 hour ride in a bus, but we managed to bring 28 people! Including 3 investigators! It was quite a great experience, seeing as I was placed in a church choir once again for the first time in over a year! I do miss choir so much...but we heard some very great messages from the leaders, and even 2 missionaries gave talks. That was the part that kind of surprised me. However, despite the cramped bus ride and several people throwing up...they all enjoyed it as well.

Anywho...that is about all for this week! Until next time...that is...if the world doesn’t end before we are able to speak once again!

All my love,
Elder Tinkham

(the pictures are me in the park with some of the cool stuff there, and the sunset from the back yard porch of the church house here)