This week, was pretty
crazy. I literally traveled 5 of the 7 days. Which truly, to be honest, I
hated. But, it was all for a good cause.
On Monday, as I told
you last week, we went to Santa Rosa to play soccer as a zone, and the District
President was kind enough to invite us to lunch. I enjoyed being able to see
all my friends from the zone.
On Tuesday, we had our
District Meeting in La Entrada. So, we headed out and afterwards I came back to
Copan with the District Leader, Elder Hanson, on splits. He is from California,
and we were actually in the MTC together. He came and helped me out a lot with
some investigators that we have, to try and get them excited about church and
shoot for some possible baptismal dates. It was a great time, and the start of
the craziness here in Copan. That night, we saw a production of an ancient
Mayan ball game. It was quite interesting, to say the least!
As we were on our way
back (we ran over to Guatemala in the morning) on Wednesday, we received the
call about transfers! Turns out, my companion Elder Novoa had a change! So, we
made it back to La Entrada, and then I came back with my companion so he could
say goodbye to everyone and pack up his stuff. That night was a concert by some
rock band that had a violin as the lead. It was really loud and hard to talk to
people over that. And my companion was pretty sad.
On Thursday we went to
do some planning for the week in La Entrada, and we stayed overnight so we
could make it to San Pedro on time for Friday. So, we did Secret Santa amongst
our district and I received a doll and a hair ribbon...but as a joke. I
jokingly enjoyed it as well haha. On top of that I went on splits with Elder
Holden, a new guy from St. George. We went around to try and make sure his
investigators were excited for church and ready to be baptized soon. It was
really interesting to work out in that area, and Elder Holden is a great elder.
So, on Friday we left
at 5:30 to get to San Pedro on time, and when we were there, I received my new
companion: Elder Uribe. He is from Mexico and has about the same time on a
mission as my last companion had. He is just great, and really sociable. He
will literally just go and start talking to whoever in the streets and thanks
to that, we are really finding a lot of new investigators and great ways to talk
to people. We came back, after a lot of effort, from San Pedro Sula. We came in
buses full of tourists who were going to the ruins to see the end of the world.
Well...the world didn’t end.
Ooops.
But supposedly we are
in a "new era" of the world and that was celebrated here in the ruins
of Copan. We really didn’t see much going on.
Other than that, nothing
else outstandingly weird happened. We kept on teaching and working and doing
everything that we could in the short time we were together to work with our
investigators to get to church.
I love this time of
year. I miss the snow terribly, but I know that Jesus Christ came to the earth
to save us. I know that if we will look to Him, we will live. Not just now, but
forever. It isn’t easy, but it is possible. He wants it to be.
Merry Christmas to
all, and to all...a great week!
Elder Tinkham