Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, November 12, 2012

Jack Frost nipping at your nose...‏


Wow...it has been...can I say it? Is it possible? COLD! WHAT?! Who is this person that has walked down the streets shivering his brains out because he only owns one long sleeve white shirt? It can´t be Elder Tinkham...or could it?

Wow...I hope that everyone has been having a magical week and that it only gets better from here! I hear there is snow, and I am very jealous.

But yes, a cold front came into La Jutosa this week. We were around 8 degrees Celsius (dad, your job to calculate that) at night and between 12-15 during the day, which is quite the DRASTIC change from an island where one has to suffer 43-45 degrees during the day! YIKES! I had a youth in the branch make me a knitted hat to wear at night, because a blanket and pajamas was NOT sufficient!

So this week we filmed our video that we make every year as a mission for the big Christmas gathering that we have every year close to that time (of which, by the way, we only pass the time in the house listening to the Christmas hymns). It was hilarious, as our zone planned to do a spin-off of the show American Mormon. I actually have never seen it...so I can explain nothing of the thing. Only that we went around asking people what their opinion was of the Mormons. We couldn´t find anything funny in the street, so we asked our investigator Julio to help us. He was coming in his taxi, and my companion jumped the car, got rolled off by the mass amount of rain that was pouring, and then I entered the taxi to ask the question. He was "angry" at us for always bothering him at work, when we come at lunch or dinner time...etc. It was very humorous, mainly to see my companion get bailed into the mud.

Outside of that, well, we mainly just kept on teaching. We had a lot of awesome lessons with investigators, especially with Julio who is going to be baptized on Saturday. He is awesome, even though recently his dad has become somewhat anti towards us. But, Julio is 36 and can do what he wants, and he loves coming to church and reading the Book of Mormon. Truly the golden investigator that everyone wants.

I suffered a lot from the cold...

And, alas, I have been informed that I have a transfer pending this Wednesday. I am leaving La Jutosa after very little time really. I only got here in August, and will be sad to say goodbye to the members and investigators that we have. I will miss the baptism of Julio, but will be very happy to congratulate him later on. Because, as a memorable quote says that I heard a looooong time ago: "Whenever there is a meeting, a parting shall follow. But that parting needs not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short while... that is up to you."

And truly, that is true in the Plan of Salvation.

All my love,
Elder Tinkham