Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, June 4, 2012

Did you remember to say thank you? Or gracias?‏





Hello to my family and those friends who happen to be reading this e-mail! How are you all out there on "solid ground"? I have always wondered if we keep calling over there the solid ground if we are out here floating...

Anyway, as you heard last week, my companion Elder Chen had a transfer. Well, to be honest, I had thought that I was going to be going up to Senior companion. Well, I didn't. I am now with Elder Hofstrand, from California. Perchance in other e-mails you heard me make mention of when I went on divisions with a Zone Leader, Elder Hofstrand in my last zone. Well, he is one and the same! They sent him out to me for his last transfer, meaning that he will be going home from here after 6 short weeks. Meaning also, that I will be here at least another transfer after this one. But, all is well because we had become great friends and we are both super ready to just take off and get this area going STRONG!

Also, as you can see from the pictures, we had 2 baptisms this week! The funny story behind those, is that we didn't have anything planned with Elder Chen. But, a few appointments fell through on Thursday as I was showing my new companion around, and so I suggested we go see people that were close to baptism. We went to go see the family, and all the kids are members; baptized earlier on. Well, the youngest one was asked "When do you want your baptism?" and he replied: Saturday! We looked to Gladis and asked "Is Saturday alright for you as well?" She said "Yes, that is a great day!"

WHAT?!

Sounds good! So we called the Branch President really fast and got some interviews set up for Friday, and Saturday they were baptized! It was a great service, and I was very grateful for the help of a member, Christian with the baptism. (I kind of hope that he and Gladis end up dating...)

Anyway, normal updates from the week that are actually very out of the ordinary: So, the dental clinic went through strong from Monday until Friday. Monday and Tuesday, we spent all morning helping out. Well, even though I wanted to help yank some teeth out, they stuck me in a room to talk to all the people who were waiting about why we were doing the clinic, and resolving doubts. ...oh wait....that is what I LOVE doing! I ended up giving out so many copies of the Book of Mormon!

Well, after we helped out on Tuesday, we headed out for the yacht to take us out so that Chen could make it to the change meeting on Wednesday. I hung out in La Ceiba in the area called Montecristo with Elder Neiswender; a man from my birth town of Murray! We had a great time hanging out Tuesday night and Wednesday, because Elder Hofstrand showed up too late for us to catch the yacht back to Roatan on Wednesday. So, we spent our time having an all over general good time and I and Elder Hofstrand visited his old area, Las Colinas (also in La Ceiba) so he could say hi to his old converts and friends he had made.

Thursday rolled around and we made it back to the island, and we started working right off the bat. Not much too exciting happened, except for the instance I explained with the baptismal challenge.

Friday in the morning we helped out the dental clinic, but this time it wasn't just anybody that got in. An orphanage from La Ceiba was invited to bring their 50 kids in to get dental treatment. So, it was actually an amazing experience to work with all these kids and see them be strong for the dentists and just how grateful they were for what these people were doing for them. I ended up being a translator for a lot of dentists and sharing in quite a few great spiritual experiences between the dentists and those kids. Also, the dentists invited us to dinner. We went to Bite on the Beach, a very delicious restaurant that gave me lobster pasta......mmmmmmmm.....

Saturday we had the baptism. But, before that we ate lunch at Bojangles, an American chicken restaurant. We were sitting there eating, and an American woman talking to her kids who had just gone and grabbed their food from the counter asks them, "Hey, did you remember to tell them thank you? ...or gracias?" My companion and I ended up laughing for a good while.

Yesterday, well, we had the fast and testimony meeting. The converts were confirmed, and during the testimonies, Gladis stands up and bore POWERFUL testimony of the church! She surprised everyone because she was talking about the doctrine of the church, and that she was completely convinced of the things she had learned and felt. I was on the verge of tears to see just how sweet the fruits of the work of a missionary are. That, and my other convert Lesbia was switched to have Sunday free instead of having to work at night.

I am just stunned by how amazing this week was for me. I loved every moment of it, and have already learned sooo much from my new companion. I have seen too much change this week; but I love it. I no longer fear the change, but want it to come and embrace it.

Until next, may you all have the desires of your hearts come to pass this week and that the start of summer for you all is amazing!

Vaya Pues,
Elder Tinkham