Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, May 28, 2012

The week of fires, changes, new investigators, and more hiking through the wilderness‏


Hola to all my family and friends out there on "solid ground"! All is going well out here in Roatan, and we are having a great time! I shall try and fit all of this week into an e-mail and have it make sense!

So, we started out and we didn't really do much on P-day. Tuesday we went and contacted a few references we had received and some new people that came to church. Well...they, just like most the people here it seems, live in the middle of nowhere. Honestly, I am getting a little sick of hiking up mountains and crossing lakes and rivers to get to the people. But, when you meet people like those we have met...it makes it all worth it. As a missionary, a few times I have found myself wondering, "Is it really worth it just for one person who I don't really know?" And then the Lord humbles me by showing just how wonderful and incredible these people are. They are all looking for something: The truth. Then, I have the scripture come to mind that states that the worth of souls is great
 in the sight of God and I feel myself honored to be the one bringing this message to them. Most of the time, I feel like it should be someone else that has this esteemed honor...but for some reason or another the Lord has seen fit to put me in the position to do it. Well, the amazing people we met were: Nubia Ocampo and her family. She was invited by a member to come to church on the 20th, as it was the Day of the Friend, and accepted; and she really liked it! She accepted us coming back, and immediately took to the lessons along with her daughters and friends (as she was already inviting everyone to come along!) Especially after Sunday rolled along and she couldn't get a ride to church, but told her family, "No, we are going to church!" and ran outside to get there on time.

The other family was a reference from our friend Adolfo, the RM from this mission who lives here. He baptized this family on his mission, but they are a little inactive at the moment. So, we went to visit them, and it turns out there really are some problems there in the family. But, we got to know his brother and the family and they are very interested in the church. We are going to keep helping the member and his family, and teach his brother the gospel for the first time in the same moments. There is a lot of good we can do there.

Wednesday, we were also reminded of just how great the people are. There was a family we had dropped a little while back, but it was sad because the little girls got baptized in the mainland a few years back. But, we were in the area, and a few appointments fell through, so we decided to go back. While we were there, they told us of their new commitment to go to church, the only problem being that they don’t have a ton of money to pay the fee to get to church in bus. But, we were happy to give them several copies of the Book of Mormon and get them committed to coming to church with us.

Thursday was pretty normal, and then came Friday. I had been anticipating that day for some time. After we passed through the day teaching with power and authority, came the time when Elder Roper had invited us to go to a youth campout and share a spiritual message. WHOOO! I love campfires and campouts! We got there right as they started having a testimony meeting, and everyone
 bore their testimony, even 2 investigators that were there. I decided to talk about friends and how important it is to choose the right ones that will benefit us not only right now, but for the rest of the time we are here on earth. We also had President Sanchez, the brand new Branch President help us out. That was one of the crazy changes that we had this week, was that President Veirs and his counselor came and changed our whole Branch Presidency, and so we are now starting kind of a "new order" but not in the terms of in Harry Potter with Ms. Umbridge when she made the students basically slaves under her rule. But more like in the new Alice in Wonderland movie when the White Queen establishes her reign of peace and honest intentions. Something like that is our new order.

Yesterday at church, some 30 white people came to church. We have a crazy dental clinic going on this week where people from all over the island can come for free dental work. Well, there are 9 dentists here, along with dental assistants, their families, dental students...EVERYTHING! So, we were pretty jam packed, and then I had to teach Sunday School in ENGLISH! What?! I have never had to do that before in my life! I am usually used to teaching people who don't know very much, but that have firm testimonies of what they believe, and in Spanish, but this was something completely different. Luckily I had Elder Roper to help me! Elder Chen helped out with the investigators that showed up to teach them. Afterwards, we helped set up a TON of dental equipment that just completely fills up the church in preparation for this week. After all that, more towards night time, we met the "wife" of a member who is just barely starting to activate himself. Well, she already has heard from the sisters, but there were some problems. But, she has already prayed and received a witness that the Book of Mormon is true, and has a strong desire to be baptized! We will be happy to oblige :)

Today we started out crazily with the dental clinic. I'm not used to starting out Monday by being out the door at 7 a.m. in a white shirt and tie, but it was a great experience. My job was to give a group discussion and presentation of: Who we are, why we are doing this clinic, and then explaining our message (basically speaking about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith and the restoration). I gave out a ton of copies of the Liahona and The Book of Mormon, and every single person that comes in and isn't a member has to write their name, phone number, and address, and afterwards they give all that info to the missionaries to contact, teach, and baptize
 every single one!

Well, maybe that is a little too hopeful, but the underlying purpose :)

Then, we found out that Elder Chen has a transfer this Wednesday, so we will be leaving tomorrow afternoon after the dental clinic to head out over there. I have the distinct feeling that I will be going up to Senior Companion, but it is still unsure. Whatever comes, I know that if I trust in the Lord, all will be well. That is what I plan to do! So, come what may...I will be ready for it!

That is about it for this week. The best of luck to you all as vacation from school comes along, don't get in trouble, don't slack off too much, and if you come to Roatan, give me a call!
 

Vaya Pues!
All my love,
Elder Tinkham