Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, May 14, 2012

A Mama's Boy‏



Hello and a big islander Aloha from Roatan! A little belated of a Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there who weren't quite as privileged to hear my voice yesterday. It's a little bit of a shame, but you did all remain in my memory :)

We had a good week here in Roatan, it was a little bit more of a "pressured" week because we had a Zone Conference in the "Solid ground" on Wednesday, and to make it on time we left on Tuesday around 2 and didn't return to the island until about 6 on Wednesday. But, despite losing a little bit of time we were able to pull off a good week.

On Tuesday for the morning we went to go build a house. This is the picture I am including. We are teaching the kids of the family, because most of them are already members and we have a baptismal date for them. The only problem was I was feeling sick. Not just kind of sick, but pretty sick with the whole nine yards of bad symptoms...and thus I wasn't a huge help. But, by the time we stepped on the boat to leave for the mainland, I was feeling quite chipper again and ready to get to work. I believe it was just a new fruit I ate that I am either not used to or possibly allergic to.


On Wednesday, on our way back home, Elder Roper invited us and a companionship of Hnas to Pizza Hut! It was super good, and really funny because it is basically a 5 star restaurant. While I was there, I opened up a few cards from my grandma that I had received, and then I anxiously read about the information that David got his mission call to Guatemala, Quetzaltenango! Woooo! Go Central American Spanish missions! That will be super good for him.

Nothing else truly exciting happened after that until Saturday. Just teaching, meeting new people, and doing the things that missionaries do. But on Saturday we managed to fit in a lot of lessons, and then finished off celebrating Mother's Day at the chapel. We had some 12 investigators there, as well as an army of mothers. Men....well, not as much. But it still turned out pretty great in terms of people in attendance. It was full of laughing, good heart-felt messages, and a lot of food and prizes. It wasn't run by us, the missionaries, but by the branch, so we just ran around doing what the leaders told us to do. Needless to say, we left pretty tired.

Then on Sunday, well, business as usual. We scrambled around after church to get some lessons in before the night time came, because we knew that we had to call home! Or at least, I had to and my companion’s family called him. It was a pretty great time, good to find out about the things that are going on in the world outside of the mission...and outside of Honduras haha. But, as the subject suggests, it made me realize, that I am indeed a Mama's Boy. As we can read in Alma, it was thanks to the teaching and example of the mothers of the stripling warriors, that they knew not to doubt in God and his power, but to believe that he can do all things. I can say the same about the example I was given by my mother, that I can truly testify she taught me to seek out the rock of our salvation, Jesus Christ, and to build my testimony; and more importantly, my life upon that rock. I thank my mother a thousand times for what she has done for me, and it still isn't quite enough. But, once again: I love you mom!

Until the next installment of: The Adventures of Elder Tinkham: Lost in Roatan - featuring special guest this week: President Veirs!


Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham