Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, January 16, 2012

A week of walking and waiting‏

¡Hola a mi familia y mis amigos, dondequiera se encuentran ahora! I hope that all is well with each and every one of you, and that you are finding yourself in cold weather...because it certainly isn’t cold here!

This last week was much more relaxed and filled with less haters of the Book of Mormon than the last week, so I was able to enjoy it a little bit! After our usual district meeting on Tuesday, I did splits with Elder Brewer to go to his area that is close to ours, El Paraíso. It was a little nerve-wracking, two gringos walking around together, but also a great experience. We taught a lot of great lessons and found a few new people for he and his companion to teach. But, the funniest part, was that later on in the day, as we went to go look for some youth to bring with us...we ended up with 2 youths. So, we decided to go on splits with them as well, even though I know nothing of their area! But, it was great. Other than showing me where to go, I was able to maintain control and be the missionary with my young helper friend.

On Wednesday I had my first interview with the President! (other than the first day coming into the mission) and that was great. President Veirs is an amazing man! He helped me a lot with questions and advice. Also, we had our Area Book and planners checked, and we were praised on having a good Area Book, as well as saying that we had good planners compared to a lot of missionaries.

Thursday we did divisions with the youth of our ward, and I went with Noé, who is about to turn 18 and turn in his mission papers. We went through Gracias a Dios, and did some teaching, but also gave a lot of service to the people there. A lot of people here are just outside working all day, even the women because the men are gone working all day. So, it is pretty easy to be there to lend a helping hand to the people.

Friday was pretty interesting. We were invited to this "9th day of the death" of the father of two members of the ward who passed away...well...9 days ago. I’m not sure if that is a Catholic tradition...but, whatever. Anyway, we were invited to share a message of the Plan of Salvation. I simply was asked to bear testimony, but used the opportunity to its fullest, and Elder Rodriguez was asked to share a message. We both talked about how our pain can be replaced with joy through the Atonement, and how we can have the certainty of the knowledge to see our loved ones again. There weren’t many members there, so the atmosphere was thick with anguish and distraught people. I wanted to help, but they weren’t all very receptive to us. I know they will see him again...but they have to live in anguish in this life because they won’t accept the Plan of Salvation we bring.

Saturday was a very normal day. We walked a lot and taught, from the high plains of Santa Lucia to the low streets of Brisas de Occidente. Needless to say...we walked a lot that day!

Yesterday we didn’t have quite as many investigators at church, 6 this time instead of 11, but we were still very happy with the turn out. Because, at least 4 of these investigators are preparing to be baptized this Saturday, and 2 others are taking the lessons and progressing very smoothly. So, it goes to show, that I am very happy and content with these investigators we have! Not only did we have plenty of investigators in church (who of their own free will sat next to other members to talk rather than just sitting next to us) but the assistance of the ward has really gone up as well, and we are bringing lots of inactives and less actives to church more as well. The work of a missionary isn’t only for investigators. We invite everyone to come unto Christ; non-member, active member, inactive member, or less-active member.

Today we hiked up suuuuper high through the area of El Paraíso to this sweet river that is up there. It is in the middle of nowhere, but a super sweet view as well. We went with a family who knows the way up there, and all the little kids were playing in the water. I was a little jealous, but still had a lot of fun going up there. It’s great to get out of the house on P-day and explore the place you are in. Just thinking, when else in my life will I find the opportunity to visit these places; especially with families that are willing to sacrifice a morning to accompany you for free?

But anyway, this work is true. I love being a missionary, and especially being in Honduras! This place is beautiful and the people are all so very surprising and fun to teach! We have a Savior who loves each and every one of us, but he cannot do any single thing for us. If we want to live with Him again, we have to work out our own salvation! I hope that all will be well this week for everyone!

¡Que les vaya bien!
All my love,
Elder Tinkham