Wow, I feel like yesterday I wrote my last e-mail! But, even though I say that this week has been very eventful. I just don’t know who is playing with the time to make it go by so quickly...2 years really is a short amount of time!
To begin, I will recount the sad part of the week. Thursday had rolled around (and we had the 2 weddings for our investigators planned on Thursday), but we still didn’t have anyone’s papers so that they could legally get married! The problem with one pair is that the husband is from a different mission here in Honduras, so getting his papers will take more time; and the other one had problems because they couldn’t match his name and ID number, so we will have to wait even longer for that one! So, they weren’t able to get baptized on Saturday, and neither could the girl Paola that we have been teaching along with her family. The Zone Leaders felt it would be good for us to wait longer, to make sure that she really had the desire to be baptized. So, unfortunately, we had no baptisms this week.
But, in other news, we had a pretty great week! We were able to teach a lot and meet a lot of new people! The details in specifics are thus: On Tuesday, we did splits with the Zone Leaders. My companion went with Elder Rivas to his area, and Elder Hofstrand came with me to Cofradia. He is from California and has 18 months in the mission. And, let me tell you, we had a blast! Just walking around and talking with him was hilarious, but also he had plenty of stories and experiences from which I could learn. He can really teach with power, and we taught the two families who are preparing for baptism. I was really astounded at how much one can learn from just one day with a different companion! But, another great thing about going on splits is that you get to have a sleepover with a different missionary that isn’t your companion! So, we also had a super fun night talking about the doctrine of the church and whatnot.
On Wednesday, we hit the pavement with a few members in order to get some backup support for the members. I went with the old bishop, Hno. Lopez. We went and taught a few families (and WOW he can bear testimony! The Spirit floods the room when he begins to talk the things of the gospel) and he, without being asked, beat me to the punch to challenge people to be baptized! Sheesh! But, most importantly, we arrived at the house of Hno. Tulio Martinez to teach him, and it turns out that they already know each other and are quite good friends! So, in church on Sunday I saw them all chatting it up and felt super happy!
Thursday, after running around like crazy in the morning trying to secure all of the papers and everything for the weddings and having them fall through was a little tough. But, tough or not, the Spirit never takes a break; so, we geared up and set out to talk to those who couldn’t get married and baptized. That was tough news to bear (especially because Hno. Tulio had gotten a haircut and shaved and everything to look good for his wedding!) but they were all very understanding which helped a lot!
On Friday, we ventured to an area called La Ceibita. It is the furthest extent of our area, and a good 30 minute bus ride, followed by 10 minutes walking! But, they are a family of 8, and a referral. They are all super great and very teachable. I felt very good in their home, and they accepted the Book of Mormon and Lesson 1 already (Elder Rodriguez went there already on divisions) and they have already been to church! So, we are very excited to have found them.
Yesterday at church was very weird. Usually we leave before the sun to go and bring our investigators to church; but with a few phone calls we were able to get a total of 5 investigators to come of their own free will by themselves! I am very happy for this, because it really shows their desire to go to church, versus only coming because we come to their house and tell them "Hey, it’s time for church!" So, that filled me with great joy and happiness, because I feel more secure that these families will be good, faithful members even after we have gone!
And, that’s about it for this week! I had the idea to send pictures, but it is a little tough with the computers here! We will have to see about more of those later. But, just know that I love you all and think about you many times in my prayers. Also know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who has given us everything possible for us to return to Him. We just have to do (or not do in most cases) a few tiny things every day, and search The Book of Mormon for the truth. It’s all there!
Until next time, everyone!
¡Que les vaya bien!
All my love,
Elder Tinkham