Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Beer brand "Save Life" is really improperly named...‏

Hello to all my friends and family, and ¡Feliz Año Nuevo! ...what? It is 2012? ...I don’t believe you and your tricks!

First of all, before anything, I must send a congratulations and ¡Felicidades! to my brother and new sister Camille for their wedding last Thursday in the Salt Lake Temple! I am positive it was basically the most beautiful thing in the world, and I wish them nothing but joy in their new life together.

Well, this week was quite the adventure, and with yet another holiday weekend, was a little tough near the end. But, rewarding all the same.

Starting with Wednesday, nothing truly amazing happened. Just that my companion and I worked our little hearts out and preached the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to any and all creatures that would listen to us (this because after coming to a dead end in Brisas de Occidente and not finding houses for 10 minutes I proceeded to contact a horse).

Thursday, was an amazing day. We got the help of Noé, a youth from the ward who is super cool because his name is Noah (and his little brother’s name is Lehi, and I got to see Lehi get baptized and confirmed...also super cool), and went out for Brisas. After all that work, we came back for a meeting of Returned and Future (and Present) missionaries at the house of a member. They all gathered together to share memories, experiences, photos, and outcomes of their missions one with another to animate themselves to continue, and the youth to serve. But, before, Hno. Ángel asked us and the bishop to go to the hospital and give his father a blessing. We left, and as we arrived, the doctor told us that only one person could enter the room at any time, but Hno. Ángel pulled her aside and said that he knew the rules, but that he needed to bless his father. So, she consented and let us in, and we proceeded to bless him. He and his wife and other son’s family are not members, so there were many wet eyes. But, after the blessing, Hno. Ángel requested us to sing with him Conmigo Quédate Señor (Abide with me, ‘Tis Eventide) and the Spirit flooded the room. Any amount of anxiety I felt was replaced with naught but calm, peace, and love. This was confirmed also by the bishop and Hno. Ángel. A very powerful night indeed.

On Friday, the Elders from the branch that also meet in our building had a talent show from their branch. We all got together and sang The Army of Helaman. It started out with the 4 of us singing in Spanish, and then the 2nd verse Elder Brewer and I sang in English, and the other 2 came in on the chorus also in English. Then they sang the 3rd verse in Spanish, and we all sang the chorus, but the two gringos still sang in English (so there was a sweet Spanish/English mix going on). It was really great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Saturday was cah-rah-zy. We left super early to go teach a family in Naco so that we could come back in time to help the Elders from San Jorge with their baptisms. We got back and got the keys for them, and started to fill up the font...but the investigator still hadn’t arrived. So, we went to the house to call her, but nothing. After 20 or so minutes, they left back to their area, and were just going to bring her later to the later baptism. Well...surprise surprise, while still waiting for the font to fill, the investigator and her family showed up; and only with Elder Rodriguez and I there. So, waiting about 30 minutes until they could get home, we called the Elders to come back. Then another 30-40 minutes as Elder Rodriguez told me a few stories of how lots of things like this happen during Baptisms because Satan doesn’t want them going through. They arrived, the ceremony went without a flaw, and we even confirmed right after! A great baptism. But, the problem was, that there was another baptism. Originally, it was 4 hours later...but with the mix up...only about 50 minutes. So, my companion and Elder Moreno went to go bring them as I waited in the church with Elder Beus and Hno. Manuel Funez from their Branch Presidency. They arrived, and we had another great baptismal service of the 3 of them (Mother and 2 kids). Afterwards, it was already about 8:30, but we had some investigators to visit for the new year and they were all a little confused why we showed up so late. We had to apologize like, 1 million times!

Yesterday, after all of the crazy antics of the previous night, our church attendance was a little ugly, but we still managed to bring 3 investigators with us, and now we have one family that has come with us 2 weeks in a row! They are the super awesome Martinez family, and we have high hopes for them. But also, we were told several dozens of times that if we ever need help, to call several members. The ward has really opened up to us and truly wants to help. I am so happy to be serving in the area of Cofradia, I love it here!

Today was my first adventure into San Pedro Sula! We went to the big city to run a few errands, and sheesh! It is crazy there! But great, I enjoyed it with my companion and all our friends from the District. Oh, and p.s....I got to eat a cheeseburger! Huzzah!

And that is about it for what happened this week. We came across a family of an elderly couple and an 11 year old girl. They are very humble and received the message with ease. I really felt the Spirit as well. And, afterwards, Elder Rodriguez told me that for awhile now he has been feeling that he will be baptizing an old couple soon. So, we shall see where we are headed with that!

Anyway, time is about up here! I hope that everyone has had an amazing year, and is ready for an even better one in 2012! We can do it with the help of the Lord! One of my goals is to read the Book of Mormon at least 4 times this year! Hooya!

Love you all! ¡Que les vaya bien!
Elder Tinkham