Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, April 23, 2012

Yet another week goes by illegally fast





I am pretty sure I wrote a very short time ago... Well, I hope that everyone is doing well right now and that the Lord has blessed you in all the ways that you need!

Here in Roatan we had a pretty normal week. I finished a journal, which was quite a bittersweet feeling. I have another one, but I will definitely have to ask for another one through the mission in some months to not go without a journal. Another interesting thing, and I just keep forgetting to write it...well...you all know me. You all know just how much I work hard to not be in a situation where someone can say "I told you so!" Well...in this I have my foot in my mouth. Ever since I got to Roatan, I have been playing piano in the sacrament meeting and in the meetings Thursday night. I started out SUPER rusty, but now after some 6 weeks I feel a bit more comfortable. It is just something I never thought that I would have to do...but I came in and saw the piano, and the members all asked me if I could play...I couldn’t say no...well, I will just be thankful for my 10 years of lessons and practice that have allowed me to bring back a little of what I lost!

Anyway, the last P-day was pretty normal, going to Bananarama and all. But we ate the specialty: Shrimp. It was super good! Wow, I almost died from the flavor! We hung out there with Daphne, Adolfo, Osmar and Lesbia - who is an investigator and the girlfriend of Osmar. She really is great and has been progressing flawlessly. She really does understand this gospel and we ask her a bunch of questions, and, well, to put in a quote of my friend Elder Thomas “She just gets it.”

Tuesday through Friday were very normal days, but we unfortunately had a lot of appointments fall through. We had to improv a lot and try to come up with things to do. The numbers fell a little because of that, but it was good for us to come up with some things to do on the fly.

But, Saturday was amazing. I went to my first ever Baby Shower for Hna Molina, the wife of the counselor to the Branch President. It was pretty weird being there haha, but it was also very interesting to see. I have always heard of my mom going to these things and wondered what secret, cult-type activities passed by...but found out they are actually quite normal. We ate good food, and had games to predict if it was a boy or a girl...well, she told us it was a girl...but supposedly according to these superstitious activities, it is a boy. We shall see...Then, after, we had an activity by Elder and Hna Roper. It was an Olympics type activity with a lot of games, and, of course, Baleadas. We had 17 investigators show up, and at least 15 less-actives. It turned out really well and really fun, but it was really hot earlier and I was running around every which way to help set up and to play with the kids and keep everyone in order...I ended up smelling really bad by the end of it haha. But, it was super great, we had a pie eating contest and an investigator named Jeff actually won! It was super funny because he didn’t even know that we would ask him to do it...but he went to town on that pie!

Yesterday we left with Elder Roper, Adolfo, and Jose again to find more people. This time, we went out into the jungle to hike looking for a house. I was seriously lost, but the view was beautiful! We found the house...one of 2 in a 5 mile radius, and taught them. Turns out it is a family Adolfo baptized when he was here, and now a lot of the kids are older and eligible for baptism.

Anyway...the work progresses in the island! There is a delightful sea breeze today, and so hopefully we won’t die of heat like we have been haha. Thanks to my family for the package! I love the chocolates...but in the route they all melted...ah well!

Vaya Pues! Have a great week!
Elder Tinkham