Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Thursday, November 3, 2011

A week of farewells and of hellos‏

Hello once again to everyone in the “outside world!” Life as a missionary is fantastic, as it ever is. Honestly, I never thought that living off of brief amounts of sleep, lots of study and class, and being with a companion 24 hours a day would be this great...but I completely adore it!

So, the sad news is that District 47-D has been disbanded. Elder Skousen left for Honduras on the 31st at about 4 a.m. and Elder Glauser and Elder Stapley followed close behind and left at 10 a.m. So, I was in a trio with Elder Armenta and Elder Morris for a day. It was really a fun and interesting experience, because I hadn’t been in a trio before, and especially with two people whom I consider to be some of my best friends! So, after that interesting day, Elder Armenta left at 5 a.m. and Elder Morris and I were left alone. We actually had a really good day though. Just the two of us went to class with Hermano Hansen, and he had us go out and proselyte to the other missionaries. It was great, and I felt really comfortable going up and talking to people. It was a great experience! But then, Elder Morris left at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, and I was left to join another District.

But...here comes the good news. My new District is pretty much amazing! I am in a trio with Elder Fuertes and Elder Chavez in an Advanced Spanish District. The whole class speaks Spanish fluently (and pretty rapidly too!) so it is a great experience for me to be surrounded by the language already, despite the fact that I am not in the field yet. Others in the District are: Elder Ramirez, Elder Eliason, Hermana Balbuena, Elder Jackman, and Elder Jolley. I am already having a great time with all of them and enjoying life. We have 2 investigators: Rober and Cata, plus as a district we teach an investigator named José. All 3 of them are great, and José and Cata seem very open and accepting of the gospel, but Rober is a bit of a struggle. He doesn’t ever seem to want to do anything and struggles to keep commitments. We will definitely require some work and some prayers for him, but we will get him there!

As for some of the great spiritual experiences, on Sunday we had a District testimony meeting as a farewell. We were all bearing our souls to each other and it was a very spiritual experience for me. I love and miss those 5 Elders, but there is no way I would ever try to keep them from getting out to the field. I am just so very happy that I could spend 7 weeks with them and learn and grow in both the gospel and the language of Spanish. They are all amazing and will do so very well in the field!

Before the testimony meeting, we heard from Brother Swenson of the missionary department. He has been in the missionary department for many, many years. His talk was so bold, that I can only compare him to Elder Holland in terms of “up in your face-ness.” He told us of testimony. How powerful it is, how useful it is, and how very important it is that we develop ours and keep it strong. If a testimony is not growing, it is shrinking. Bear it frequently, powerfully, and simply. And, we don’t even need to say, “I would like to bear my testimony.” We simply just need to say, “I know that Jesus Christ lives. He loves us. He wants us to return to Him.” His talk was amazing, and I learned so much from him.

Tuesday, we heard from Elder W. Craig Zwick of the 70. His talk was very emotional and spiritual, and he told us of the power and practice of prayer, its sanctity, and how very important it is. We have to get into the habits NOW on our missions so that we can be ready to use it whenever we need it (especially with investigators). Plus, these habits will stick with us through our lives. One line he said that really touched me was this: “Prayer is a miracle. Not for the fact that we can manipulate the circumstances by receiving blessings, but rather by the fact that we get to establish a relationship with God.”

I appear to be out of time...so, until next time my dear friends and family! I love you all! Have the best week ever!

All My Love -
Elder Tinkham

P.S. I know that Jesus Christ lives. His work is the greatest work on Earth, His will will be done, and without Him, we would have no hope. But there is hope. There is always hope. And we will be able to return to Him someday.