Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, November 28, 2011

La Semana del Día de Acción de Gracias!‏

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos! ¿Qué tal? I hope that all is very well in the world for all of you!

The work has definitely been progressing here in the Cofradia area! We teach quite a lot of lessons, especially the First Lesson as we make many many contacts each day. Mainly we have been working in the small town of Naco, and there are some awesome investigators over there.

The chief investigators that I would like to mention are the Santa Maria Family. They are a family of 4, the 2 parents and 2 children (both under 8). The husband works a lot, but we are able to come and visit and teach them quite often. They aren’t married, which is the problem, but the good news is they accepted a Baptismal date! They are scheduled for the 17th of December, and we are going to work on having them married at the latest by the 16th. They have started to come to church with us also, and I hope that they are loving the Spirit in there. It is quite amazing to see the fellowshipping that the ward members do with the investigators that we bring to the chapel. They are all so very good to us! (and by speaking of good, I mean they feed us too much too! We have 2-3 dinners every day! Ridiculous!)

Hermana Estela has still been very receptive to the lessons, and looks forward to seeing us 5 days a week, but for 2 weeks in a row now she has not come to church. She says she is super busy with her Restaurant, and I can understand, but if she isn’t going to come to church we can’t officially call her a progressing investigator unless she comes to church with us. It is very sad, especially because I love to come and teach her. She is a very sweet lady and genuinely wants to change her life. We even ordered her her own Hymnal and Bible since the one she had was ancient!

I have been improving quite a bit at fútbol. And, might I add, I have now scored a goal! It was even against the terror of a goalie, Emilio (Who just got called as the Elder’s Quorum President yesterday! Congratulations!). We play every Monday, of which we are going to play in roughly 2 hours, and sometimes Tuesday and Thursday nights if we have nothing else planned, or we have younger members with us, or bring younger investigators with us to have a good time. I really have grown to love the game of fútbol, and hope to keep getting better so I stop with my gringo mistakes!

Well, now I shall recount a funny story. So, two weeks ago on Friday (the 18th) was Elder Vega’s birthday. Elder Vega is another elder in our district. So, as a point to celebrate we went to go buy some cake. But, on the way, Elder Rodriguez stopped to get his shoe repaired, and it took an hour! So, pressed for time and short on cash, we bought a 100 Lempira cake (roughly $5), and for the sake of time, sang right there in the store. We pushed two tiny tables together, shared 3 chairs, and used tiny display plates covered in plastic in order to not dirty them, and started eating right there! No silverware or anything! Quite the genius idea, if I do say so myself.

Now, something very interesting. Hermana Santa Maria has a Jehovah’s Witness bible. She doesn’t fight with us or anything, just, it’s what she has. Well, we had her read a few scriptures and they are basically the same, but the wording is so very different. I don’t really know how to explain it, but I felt nothing close to the Spirit from that book.

Well, I am almost out of time! Love you all, I love hearing from you, and the CHURCH IS TRUE!

Que les vaya bien!
Elder Tinkham