Greetings, outside world, from the MTC! It is kind of cold here, and after General Conference missionaries are asked to wear their coats all the time. So, that is keeping away the cold, but the problem with only having one suit, is that you don't want to wear it every single day because it would get nasty and need to be cleaned super fast. So....you better believe that you can see Elder Tinkham rocking the two-tone from time to time. Not drastic, but definitely stylish.
So, this past week went by pretty quickly. I still am a little in shock that it is P-day again. And a few memorable things happened...
Primarily, I have been having the line from Elder Holland's priesthood session talk going through my mind: "From every man, young and old, who bears the priesthood, I ask for a stronger and more devoted voice, a voice not only against evil and him who is the personification of it, but a voice for good, a voice for the gospel, a voice for God. Brethren of all ages, unbind your tongues and watch your words work wonders in the lives of those 'who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it'." I certainly will not bind my tongue in Honduras, and I exhort everyone back home to do the same: Do not bind your tongues! Satan is real, and we are waging a real war against him.
On a lighter note, after I wrote the last e-mail I went home to a building that had its power shut down, which was quite tragic. It got pretty hot in there and was super dark; but I don't mind. The only thing that was a little difficult was moving rooms. I tell you, Elder Skousen and I have moved too much! But this time we only switched rooms with 2 other Elders who were living with Elders from our district, and we were living with Elders from their district. Little complicated situation, but it was resolved so easily. Basically what I am saying is that it was a Christmas Miracle that we didn't have to change buildings or addresses or anything else.
It is pretty sad, being in the intermediate class, because you associate with the Advanced Classes as well. These are the people who took 5+ years of Spanish or are native speakers, and they are only here as long as an Elder going English speaking would be. And that in and of itself is not the bad part, it is when you make friends with them, and you have 3 weeks left, and they are already leaving because their 3 weeks are up. Most of the people here at the MTC become such good friends so fast, it astounds me to think just how fast we become great friends.
Well, enough of random topics by Elder Tinkham, we came to hear about spiritual experiences, right? We want the juicy details, right? ...I can't hear any answers...I'll just go ahead and tell them anyway...
So, on Sunday we went back to having the "normal" Sunday block again. That is with the talks and priesthood meeting. My companion, Elder Skousen, got called up (and he even gave the invocation too!) and gave a great talk on the Atonement; because he went up and spoke completely by inspiration about little children who die before reaching the age of accountability. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then, afterwards, the Branch President (President Dennis) gave us an awesome lesson about repentance during priesthood. I think that that is such an important topic for missionaries to not only understand so that they can teach it, but to enact in their own lives in order to always qualify for the Spirit.
That night, we had another fireside by Richard Heaton, the Administrative Director of the MTC. He gave a very useful talk, because he talked about the ways that we keep our converts active. And that is, through teaching them the importance and significance of paying tithing. If we want them to have blessings, stay faithful, and always remain strong through the tough times, we need to commit them to always pay tithing. I hadn't really thought of tithing being as substantially important, but taking a step back and listening to the Spirit, it's easy to get a confirmation of this.
On Tuesday we heard from Julie B. Beck, the president of the entire Relief Society. She came and spoke to us about temples, and how we have to teach our investigators the whole gospel so that they can participate in the sacred covenants and ordinances that go on inside the temples. I know how much I love the temple, so I most certainly want my investigators to feel that same love. She also said this line that I loved: "Every day we will wake up and be in the Lord's Hands. He will guide us through an unknown journey, and it is unknown because we may think we know what we are getting into; but we don't. We have no idea, and that is why we have to rely on the Lord." Her final big three points were: "Love your companion. Love the people. Love your president." There seems to be a recurring theme between those three things, and with obedience!
Other than that, Elder Skousen and I have been hard at work teaching! Patricio's baptismal date is the 22nd and we only have one more lesson and his Baptismal interview to go! I am so excited and happy for him! And, as for Erick, well we have only had one lesson with him since the last e-mail, but he seems to be doing well. He is reading the Book of Mormon, and accepted a baptismal date finally. Now we just have to work to get him to that point, and though we may be in for the long haul; it will be so worth it to see Erick clean and happy.
One minor detail of the week, is that Hermano Hansen has been leading us through some discussions and practice lessons...and he is the best. He really is. We are always so excited to see him come in and as Elder Morris always says: "We are living our lives through yours!" So...the MTC has the best teachers, hands down.
Thank you everyone for all your love and support! I love getting your letters and hearing about how the world out there is going! Nos vemos, y tenga una buena semana!
Con mi amor,
Elder Tinkham