Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Another week gone by at the MTC!‏

Well, I had received my travel plans last Friday, but due to foot pain, I have been asked to remain at the MTC until the pain is cleared up and I am feeling better. I am okay with this decision. Sure, it is going to be a little tough not going out into the field on time, but the Lord's time is not our time; and there is a reason behind everything. Granted, I don't know the reason why I need to stay, but there is one out there. Plus, I am already feeling better, and working with the Podiatrist to heal as fast as possible!

Well, some news about the work in the MTC: Patricio was baptized last Saturday! Huzzah hurray! I am so incredibly happy for him! That man went from being caught in a bad spot, angry at his wife, to becoming a completely changed man. His life truly has turned around so much and his disposition is so happy now! We also taught him twice after his baptism, and just explained briefly some of the topics in Lesson 5, but mainly just talked about how cool he is and how much we look up to him. At the end of the last lesson, we sang "God Be With you 'till we Meet Again" and I felt legitimately sad talking about how it was the last lesson. Hopefully that is a good sign of the work as a missionary!

Erick is also progressing! We had to move his baptismal date (otherwise it would have already happened) to the 6th of November so that we can teach him the last few commandments and get him a Baptismal Interview. He still seems a little hesitant, a little shaky, but I can see his testimony and the light he has found. This is the true gospel, and I believe that Erick is starting to see that and change his life accordingly. I'm sure that his little brothers look up to him even more now!

On Sunday we heard from Brother Stephen Allen again. His talk was once again funny, and he always makes us stand up and sit down a lot during his talks. At the time you are thinking: "What is the point man?!?" But in the long run it is quite nice to have moved enough to have everyone there staying awake. (And my favorite joke is when he asks if you have received a Dear John while being here and seeing how many Elders proudly stand up!) He taught us a lot about music and the power that it has. We sang a lot of hymns that weren't scheduled in the program, and everything that he said was true. That music has the power to penetrate even through the toughest of hearts. It's always been such a large part of my life ever since my mother enrolled me in piano lessons over 12 years ago. And, I want to share that with my investigators. My love for music combined with my love for the gospel can be a powerful force. The other line that Brother Allen said that I really liked was, "You have a full armory of weapons at your disposal as a missionary. Don't leave the Hymns out of it!"

On Tuesday we heard from Elder Donald Hallstrom of the Presidency of the Seventy. He and his wife gave great talks about the work of missionaries. They have been all over serving as Mission Presidents and Area Presidencies, and they mentioned how they always saw a difference between the missionaries that were loving the work, and the missionaries that were struggling. And the difference was always how strictly they followed the Mission Rules. They were not just made up so we know what we can and can't do; if we don't follow them, we are going to suffer and be in a much worse place! Elder Hallstrom also asked us a few times the same question, "Have you decided what kind of missionary you are going to be?" And he also followed it up with, "If you haven't, then a single action you do is going to decide for you. May you all be strong and decide to be great missionaries." He also mentioned how every day he is able to look back on his mission and see how much it shaped him.

Just yesterday I got the privilege to demonstrate teaching in front of the new missionaries. I remember that first day and those first lessons that we taught, and I was so grateful for the opportunity. Terrified? Yes. Was it a good, rewarding, and spiritually enriching experience? Yes. The lessons that we teach feel real when you are in them, and it is very possible to feel the Spirit, but that was something else. Like unto investigators in the field, I had only seen these people today, and only knew what was on the Referral. I know that I certainly needed the work of developing How To Begin Teaching skills; maybe the New Missionaries didn't need it so much, but I know it certainly was an incredible blessing in my life!

The work is going great! Spanish is pretty much the greatest language on earth, and I cannot wait to get to Honduras and teach the people with "all the faculties of my soul" as Nephi states. I love this gospel and I love teaching it! Missions really do change lives, and if we are able to decide at the start that we will be obedient, faithful missionaries; they will always change us for the better. Another quote is brought to mind, "Let your mission go through you; and not you just go through the mission" meaning that we have to cherish every day, every day become a better person; rather than suffer through every day for 2 years and when you get home quickly throw off your name tag and return to your old lifestyle.

I hope and pray that my Mission will continue to change my life. I love it already!

Con mi amor, mis amigos! Vaya con Dios!
-Elder Tinkham