Mission of
Elder Kenneth Dallin Tinkham
Honduras San Pedro Sula East
August 2011 to August 2013

Friday, September 9, 2011

Getting into the swing of things!‏

Well, it is the first official P-day of the mission! We get Fridays off here in the MTC, and I can just tell you that it feels great!

The MTC is a place of such incredible spiritual growth, that I cannot even begin to describe it in words. I cannot tell you how many times I have felt the spirit so strongly here and had my testimony grow in leaps and bounds. But, I suppose that is to be expected when we are expected to pray and bear testimony roughly every hour here!

My companion, Elder Mcrae, and I have continued teaching Hermana Anayancy this week. The language really does feel like it is coming for me, except that the structure of sentences still throws me off every now and then. But, as Elder Mcrae and I teach, I can just feel the Spirit flood into the room. Even though Hermana Anayancy is really an employee here and not a real investigator, I am developing a love for teaching her and sharing my testimony and beliefs with here. I always look forward to the opportunity to go teach her.

Well, speaking of Hermana Anayancy; her real name is Hermana Hunt. And, as we discovered yesterday, she is actually our 2nd teacher! She came and taught us, and it was such an incredible and enjoyable lesson. She carries such an amazing Spirit with her at all times, and I really want to discover the secret of that in my life. These feelings and constant promptings and inspirations are a desire that I want to have with me always. Oh, and even though as an investigator she told us that she spoke no English, she made a video for us and played it during class where she spoke only English! On top of that, our regular teacher Hermano Stoddard has begun speaking in English more lately. And I really have to say, a person's voice sounds quite different in different languages.

Tuesdays here in the MTC are my favorite, because we get speakers from the general authorities to come and talk to us. This last Tuesday we had Elder Jay E. Jensen of the 70 talk to us and he gave a very detailed history of how Preach My Gospel came to be, and how useful it will be to us in the field. He also mentioned how powerful music is in the conversion process, as well as the importance of always being submissive and swallowed up in the will of the Father. Submissiveness is on the most crucial attributes that Christ had that I want so desperately.

Upon reading Preach My Gospel and Jesus the Christ, I have found that not only the ancient texts of scripture can make me feel a great Spirit in my life, but also the words of the modern day prophets. These truly are inspired and God-given works for us as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to use. The bar has truly been raised, and if we do not stay constantly vigilant, we will be found unprepared at that last day.

I have truly begun developing a love for the language of Spanish, reading the Book of Mormon and Preach my Gospel in Spanish has shown me that it (being the language) has such an immensely greater ability to explain and testify of the truths of Christ. My favorite example that I have found thus far, is in Preach My Gospel it states that the Book of Mormon should be our "Fountain for Preaching the Truth." Our Fountain of truth. I can surely testify that that statement is true and that the Book of Mormon truly has been sent by God to help us in these last days. It, coupled with the Bible give us the fullness of the Gospel that will be required to obtain the Kingdom of Heaven. I know that the power of the Holy Ghost is the greatest power for conversion that we have, and that without that power missionary work could not exist. I am so grateful to have been found worthy to wear his name right below mine on my heart every day. I am so incredibly grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and the ability that we have because of that to return to Him. Such an act of love has never been seen and never will be seen again. "Oh, to grace, how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be." I know that I cannot repay my debt, but I will labor in the field as hard as I can and give back everything that I can to my Lord and Savior.

Nos vemos, mis amigos,
Elder Tinkham